I had heard that we were going to meet with the group at 9am to head to a local church. Well, I woke up at 8:58, so I was upset for a sec and then quickly realized that I got to sleep for a little longer! I heard a bunch of girls in the hall around 9:45 and they were talking about meeting for church. Turns out that we were leaving at 10am, not 9. I met with the group a few minutes later and we headed to Liberty Christian Centre, a church in the Sydney suburbs. We found some seats and headed to the cafe for some lattes and toast with nutella. This church knew how to do it right! This Italian man kept trying to make conversation with us, but I don't think any of us caught a word of what he said. My friends were telling me to slow down on the latte sipping and learned the word piano from the Italian, constantly waving their hands and yelling it telling me slower, slower... Haha. Service was good, the pastor spoke on James and how transformation as a Christian isn't an immediate thing granted at salvation but a day to day choice to be different and act in ways of wholeness and holiness. Also, that you can be extremely impacted and affected by those who you surround yourself with, so as Christians, we ought to be careful who we are allowing to impact and shape us.
After getting back to school, a friend and I decided to head into Sydney for some shopping. As we were talking to the train, we saw that the gate was locked shut so we attempted to crawl under it. After much effort and snags in some clothes, success! We took a bus to a local train station and headed to a Sydney suburb Newtown after getting help with directions from a beer-drinking Sydneysider on the bus. This place was really liberal and reminded me a bit of Capitol Area in Seattle. We got back on the train and headed to the Central District to do some shopping. After getting some dress clothes, we were running short on time and decided to get a taxi back to school. Students were playing soccer while the college director cooked us up some food.
17 May 2009
Day 5 - Lattes and the Sydney Metro
Posted by Matthew Moroni at 5:36 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment