17 May 2009

Day 3 - Fire and Water | NSWFS&SydneyHarbour

We were served breakfast at 7am followed by an hour long 'personal time'. I'm guessing that this is an allotted time set aside for devotionals, bible reading, journaling etc, but I do all of that at night so I took advantage of these two hours and slept in! Breakfast could wait, as I had some granola bars with me. The day got started off with a class on non-government organizations and social entrepreneurship, with a morning tea in between, of course. This time, we had some banana bread with a cream cheese-like spread on it. We were told that it was cream with lemon zest. Either way, it was '3 slices' good! The tea is interesting. The way Aussies do it is with heavy creme in the bottom of the cup, tea bag, hot water, sugar, stir, drink, enjoy! Some girls (of course) would put the creme in last which would cause it to clump and look extremely disgusting. Either way, I'm lovin' it!



After finishing up classes, we headed to the New South Wales Fire Service Emergency Response Centre (long name, phew!) where we learned about fire fighting in Australia. On the way there, we saw some lady chasing her dog in the middle of a freeway on ramp, quite entertaining to watch - funny Aussies. We found out that the Service is comprised of a small amount of employees located at different headquarters around the state. The organization is put together by a group of 70,000 volunteers, proving to be the backbone of the service. None of us could believe how many people work their normal jobs yet devote their time to the organization when they're needed. This really made me feel guilty as an American, seeing as how a lot of people (myself included) will volunteer but seem to look for a handout or compensation just for 'doing the right thing'. I'm reminded of their loyalty to the organization every time I hear a siren or smell smoke. Aussies are doing it right!


We got back to the school, changed into some nice clothing and headed for Sydney via the train. We got down to the harbour and waited for our boat. The food was alright, but the music is where the party was at! Everyone moved their way to the dance floor and I even had the opportunity to see a professor of mine dance to ♪Baby Got Back and a friend of mine hop around the dance floor - proving to be cooler than dancing! It was cool to see everyone loosen up and have a good time. Despite the fun time, I was extremely greatful to get into my bed! Full day yet again!

0 comments: