14 May 2009

Day 2 - Sydney Harbour | Amazing Race

After a restful night sleep, I woke up to eat some breakfast and take a few classes. I'm having a blast away from my obligations and schedule back home, but am quickly realizing that I need to get down to business. After all, I guess it is summer school. Classes started off with an overview of Australian history followed by a course in cross cultural communication. The professor made a good point that although most of the developed world learns about the United States and it's culture, America falls short when it comes to learning about other cultures. This hit me hard. We grow up thinking that the US is superior and majestic, yet we fail to even examine other countries unless we happen to be pushed into a culture, forced confront a bordering land such as Canada or Mexico, which most likely is a 'touristy' part of the country anyways.



Between classes, we had 'morning tea', a time where we line up and make up some tea and grab something tasty of the pastry and fruit tray. It's awesome that in between learning, we can take a break to relax and converse with our peers, not to mention stretch and enjoy the sun. I think that we should definitely incorporate this at universities in the states!

After classes, we walked to the train station and headed for Sydney. Getting off of the 40-minute train and walking to the harbour was quite the adventure. I felt like I was opening up presents at Christmas as I peered through the buildings catching glimpse of the Harbour Bridge and Opera House. I couldn't believe that I was finally seeing landmarks that come to mind anytime the country of Australia is mentioned (following kangaroos and koalas, of course) We saw an aborigine (supposedly) man playing the didgeridoo to a fake snake, 'the magic man', a man covered in silver spray paint as well as an Asian man with his face painted white. Anytime we could approach him for a picture, he would awkwardly turn away from us and walk the other way. His body language and face paint was screaming "take a picture with me and then give me money", but his actions proved otherwise. What a letdown...



After taking what seemed like 354 pictures of the bridge and opera house, it was time for someone to take my picture, for profile purposes of course - haha! This one was a keeper!



Nick, Jason, and I headed over to the Opera House and took a bunch of pictures jumping on the steps, leaning on the building, anything creative. We spent quite a bit of time doing that and even had the chance to take a picture for a newly married couple from Korea on their honeymoon! We got back together with our scavenger hunt team and made our way back to the train station.


After getting back to the college and eating dinner with the whole group, Nick, Alexa, and I headed out on an adventure. We stopped at a convenience store and bought some 'LOL' juice as well as some other Aussie snacks. We walked up and down Hector street, stopping at a park to look at the stars and see sketchy guys lock up a questionable building. We were going to talk to them until we realized what they were doing. Full day!

0 comments: