11 August 2009

This experience must come..

I've been getting into "My Utmost For His Highest" lately and have been challenged and grown as a result. Turning to the devotion set out for August 11th, I realize that I have a struggle with often putting alot of dependency on others, and contrarily, many times attempting to be completely dependent on myself and my own abilities. The latter often resulting in failure or disappointment.

2 Kings 2:11-12
And as they still went on and talked, behold, chariots of fire and horses of fire separated the two of them. And Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven. And Elisha saw it and he cried, "My father, my father! The chariots of Israel and its horsemen!" And he saw him no more. Then he took hold of his own clothes and tore them in two pieces.

Elijah was Elisha's go-to man. Elijah set out the trail and led by example, showing Elisha and others what was supposed to be done in a given situation. "It's not wrong for one to depend on their "Elijah" for as long as God gives them to you but there will be a time coming when he must leave and will no longer be your guide and your leader, because God did not intend for him to stay."

The devotion continues with circumstances in the Bible where we are alone and must take on the situation with what we have learned, not looking to another person to lead the way. Here is the first example:

- You're alone at your "Jordan" (2 Kings 2:14) - the Jordan River represents where we have no fellowship with anyone else, where no one can take responsibility from you. This is where what you've learned is put to the test. You might have been at this situation with your 'Elijah', but now you are facing it alone.

Up to this point, I've learned a lot about what it means to live a life of obedience, honesty, and responsibility. I've had family, friends, leaders, and individuals who I've looked up to who have set out the path, marked up what was up and coming, but I've been finding myself in a situation lately where I have to own my faith. I'm approaching situations that challenge and test my integrity and character, and it's in my solitude that I will choose the better and grow, or choose for the worse and hurt myself as a result.

Thought I leave with: If you truly want to know whether or not God is the God your faith believes Him to be, then go through your "Jordan" alone.

A serious challenge, but I'm excited to go through it none the less.

0 comments: